We are finally getting things together and done as we are forced (by time and necessity) to make some choices. Here are the things on our checklist for this week:
- Interview Doulas (or at least set up interviews). After going back and forth, mostly due to cost, we’ve decided that we definitely want someone whose job it is is to be there for us. I emphasize us, as I am very aware that I may not be the most pleasant and cheerful supportive and communicating partner whilst concentrating on birthing this child, and I do not want the burden of every other responsibility to be placed on my wife. Also I realize more and more how little I know about so many aspects of birthing and I want someone available to explain things so that we can make informed decisions. I would hope the midwives would do that, but they have different priorities than a doula will.
- Contract with Daycare. We’ve chosen a place that has been exceedingly willing to allow us time to decide, now we just need to get the contract in and pay our first two weeks. We’ve decided to go with one day with grandma, three days with daycare, and three days with us (one with me, one with C, and one where we’ll all be together). At least to begin. We’re hoping that we will have the option to move to 5-day-a-week daycare if things don’t work out with this plan, but I’m just glad to have a plan.
- Talk to HR. I already did this way back in December, but I want to make sure I know everything I need to know.
- Set up times for maternity photos. We are lucky to have had someone offer to do this for us for free a couple months ago. I’m hoping she’s still available and willing.
- Call potential pediatrician. I have a highly recommended one who is fairly close to home and daycare and also on the list provided by the midwives. Only downside is that she’s been in practice for many many many years and I have a track record of meeting with health care providers just as they are going into retirement or moving away or engaging in some other life change that prevents them from continuing on as a care provider. But we’ll try.
- Fill out forms for midwives. Or at least get them started. We filled out forms for the hospital already, but our midwife made it clear that while she would like to think our information won’t get lost, it definitely still could and this gives us extra protection from filling them out again when we get to the hospital.
- Update registries. Because we really just started them for fun (and to get free gift cards) and now that we have a shower date, folks might want to know (though lets face it, most people swing by the big box baby store just before the shower). I want to do some research for some of the items and would gladly accept any advice any of you have on “must have items” for the registry.
I think that’s mostly it (for this week). C is out of town for work for several days, which means I will be either super motivated (after Tuesday, since the next two days are jam packed) or super lazy. I’m hoping it’s more the former and that between the two of us, we can knock out several items on the list and I can feel better about everything that is coming our way in the next couple months (couple months! eek!)
Hope you all have productive, awesome weeks!